Matteo Manca is currently Data Scientist at Zurich, where his main activities are related to the study, implementation and validation of predictive and statistical models and to the analysis of data aimed at quantifying risk and supporting business decision making. Previously he was data scientist in the Data Science and Big Data Analytics research group at Eurecat, where he mainly focused on the analysis of digital trace data and in the application of data mining and computation methods in order to study social phenomena.
In 2014 he obtained his PhD in computer science from the University of Cagliari with a thesis focused on the study and implementation of recommendation approaches for the social media domain. He has worked as intern in CureMetrix (working remotely) , San Diego (CA) – USA and in the Web mining group at Yahoo! Researcher Barcelona.
- Data Scientist at Zurich Spain (From February 2018)
- Researcher at Eurecat, Centre Tecnol de Catalunya – Barcelona ,Spain (from September 2015 to February 2018)
Computer Science consultant and software engineer at Rare Diseases Center of Sardinia (from November 2010 to September 2015)
Intern Data Scieintist (working remotely) at CureMetrix, San Diego (CA) – USA (from June 2014 to October 2014)
Software developer at 3C Lab Sardegna Ricerche, Edificio 2 – Pula, Italy (from August 2010 to November 2010)
Intern at IBM Italy S.p.A (from April 2010 to July 2010)
- Intern at Yahoo! Research Barcelona (from January 2009 to June 2009)
- Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Cagliari, Italy (2014). Final dissertation: Mining User Behavior in Social Environments.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Cagliari, Italy (2009). Final dissertation: Metrics for characterization of web search results.
- Social Media Mining
- Computational Social Science
- Social Recommender Systems
Services and Activities
- Tutorial at International Conference. L. Boratto, C. Herrero, A. Kaltenbrunner, M. Manca, G. Stilo. Data Sources and Techniques to Mine Human Mobility Patterns. The 5th IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics (DSAA). [Turin, Italy – 2018/10/01 – 04].
- PC member of the of ICWSM-18(12th International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media)
- PC member of the of MIDAS-2017 (The Second Workshop on MIning DAta for financial applicationS)
- Guest editor of the Special issue on “Behavioral-Data Mining in Information Systems and the Big Data Era”
- PC member of the of ICWSM-17 (The 11th International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media)
- PC member of the of ICWSM-16 (Tenth International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media)